Re: Proposed response for timbl-02 (reification semantics)

* Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com <Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com> [2003-04-10 13:28+0300]

Eh indeed. Do I understand you right? You sound like you are suggesting
that your use case for reification will work OK, so long as RDF database,
query and inference systems (eg. OWL imlementations) have special case
knowledge that rdf:predicate/subject/object triples cannot be used to
conclude anything.

This would mean a major change to the OWL specs (which have just gone to
last call). Currently they treat RDF statements that use pred/sub/obj just
as they treat any other statements. If this conflicts with the reification
use case you present, they ought to be told asap. Otherwise implementations
of the OWL specs will do damage to RDF data written in the style of reificaiton
that you endorse. There's nothing we can do to stop OWL systems drawing
such inferences, given sufficient input data; or nothing much short of
reintroducing the notion of dark triples and claiming that all triples to
do with reification are 'dark'. Which is not somewhere I'm in a hurry to go.

So Patricks, re-reading your comments above to be sure... Is it fair to say:

[
PatrickS's use of RDF reification as currently specified in M+S and rdfcore docs
 will only meet its application goals if inferences can somehow be
restricted to dissalow the use of
any of the reification vocabulary in the IF portion of any inference rules.
]

If that's the case, I suggest either (i) we've lost a use case that
justified rdf reification's current design, or (ii) OWL and RDF semantics
need to be changed to include the restriction on inferences based on
statements that use RDF:statement/predicate/subject/object constructs.

Dan