FW: IRIs and NFC

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 11:10:18 +0200
To: <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
Cc: <duerst@w3.org>

See (member only)
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-archive/2003Apr/0047.html
for the full message.

From: Martin Durst
-----(Edited) Original Message-----

Jeremy:

>I wanted to express some urgency on the request concerning IRIs and NFC.

>It would be very helpful to RDFCore if we can have a simple yes/no to the
>question "Should RDF restrict its use of IRIs to NFC?", ideally before our
>telecon tomorrow (approx 21 hours from now).

I think making no mention for NFC in IRIs is better, because otherwise
you may get into conflicts with the IRI spec if it is tweaked. (I don't
expect any big changes regarding NFC in IRIs, but tweaks might happen.)

On the question of NFC for RDF overall, as you personally know, we have
backed up a bit from the position that everybody MUST check and reject.
Check and reject for NFC is now just a SHOULD.

What is definitely still true, in all cases, is that 'applications'
(such as RDF) MUST NOT normalize stuff themselves.

Hope this helps,   Martin.