Re: clarify "inline literals"

From: Jos De_Roo <jos.deroo.jd@belgium.agfa.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 01:21:29 +0200
To: "Brian McBride <bwm" <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Cc: Steve Petschulat <spetschu@ca.ibm.com>, RDF Core <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>, w3c-rdfcore-wg-request@w3.org

I can't speak for Steve of course, but I
often had something like:
  the MT forces us to interpret a literal as
  something, but what? (not yet so what)
Some (including myself) say that it denotes itself,
others say that it denotes the value of a function
eg:dt(lexical-form) (and still others would maybe
say that there should be more function arguments
taken into account).
The former is a minimal interpretation and kind of
leaves the meaning of a statement determined by the
statement verb, which is why I like it.
The latter can be achieved with datatyped literals
such as e.g. used in
  eg:s eg:p eg:dt"abc" .
  eg:s eg:p (eg:dt "abc") .
  eg:s eg:p eg:dt("abc") .
As far as I can see both stances use different models
but *could* have intended the same and therefore
want to use the same property name, which looks like
a bug to me (and which is not the fault of the MT).

-- ,

                      Brian McBride
                      <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.c        To:       Steve Petschulat <spetschu@ca.ibm.com>
                      om>                       cc:       RDF Core <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
                      Sent by:                  Subject:  clarify "inline literals"
                      w3c-rdfcore-wg-req
                      uest@w3.org

                      2002-09-28 05:24
                      PM

Steve,

On Friday's telecon, you stated as a requirement:

   [["Inline" literals are required, don't care about model theory]]

What exactly did you mean here.  I thought at the time you meant that we
get rid of non typed literals, but maybe you meant something else.

Brian