Re: Datatyping, rdf?:Datatype unnecessary

From: Graham Klyne <Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 14:00:35 +0100
To: Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
Cc: RDFCore Working Group <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>

 From your last message, it seems my understanding of syntactic datatyping
is similar to yours.

In that framework, I'm not convinced that *either* of the following
relations are needed.  I.e. I'm not convinced we need to say anything about
the rdf:type or rdf:Class of xsd:integer at this time, since it appears
(needs to appear) only as part of a purely syntactic construct.

Of course, if we're targeting more than purely syntactic datatyping,
there's another story...

At 10:41 AM 9/1/02 +0100, Jan Grant wrote:

>Incidentally, we don't need
>
>         xsd:[Ii]nteger <rdf:type> <rdf:Datatype> .
>
>since this also seems to be perfectly reasonable:
>
>         xsd:integer <rdfs:subClassOf> <rdf:Literal> .
>
>jan
>

>--
>jan grant, ILRT, University of Bristol. http://www.ilrt.bris.ac.uk/
>Tel +44(0)117 9287088 Fax +44 (0)117 9287112 http://ioctl.org/jan/
>HP-unix: Open Sauce product, available in 57 distributions.

Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>