Re: rdfs:StringLiteral

>[Patrick Stickler, Nokia/Finland, (+358 40) 801 9690,
>patrick.stickler@nokia.com]

I meant the values. All of them, that is: integers and strings and
uris and whatever. Anything that can be mapped into a value space
from a literal. Anything that a literal can denote.

>and if the L2V mapping happens to map
>a lexical form to a value that is string equal to the lexical
>form,, fine, but one can still argue that both exist insofar
>as the semantics are concerned.

Well, they might well exist, but the question is, which of them are
in the class? It isn't very useful to have a class of *syntactic*
things, unless we also have some way to refer to those syntactic
things.

>Do you mean "lexical forms"?

NO!! That's why I said literal VALUES.

>hen while we can say that
>rdfs:Literal is the class of all possible lexical forms, I don't
>see how that fits into RDFS Class semantics, since that is a
>syntactic based membership and not a semantic one.

Yes, exactly. My message was to the effect that rdf:Literal is NOT a
class of lexical forms.

>I personally consider rdfs:Literal to be a bug. Its membership is
>defined by M&S as a set of structural components of the graph, not
>the denotation of members of a class.

That isn't the way I read the M&S, and that interpretation has never
been in any version of the MT. I agree however that the M&S is highly
unclear on this point, as on many others, and in particular is rife
with use/mention confusions in any case. SO to hell with trying to
deconstruct the M&S: what do WE want rdf:Literal to mean?

Pat
IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola              			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501           				(850)291 0667    cell
s.pam@ai.uwf.edu   for spam