Re: incorporating datatypes into the MT

I think there may be a difference between incorporating the principles of
datatyping (yes) and assuming knowledge of all the datatypes used
(problematic).

So, yes, it's important to define the concept of a datatype, and how it
works in conjunction with literals but, I think, also to retain the idea
that there is a basic form of entailment in which no knowledge of the
datatype mappings is assumed, distinct from a datatyped entailment in which
such knowledge is assumed.

E.g. in "basic" entailment:

    Jenny age "10"^^xsd:integer .

does not entail

    Jenny age "010"^^xsd:integer .

But in a xsd:integer-aware entailment (with knowledge that datatype
xsd:integer maps "10" and "010" to the same value) one *can* draw the
entailment.

(Hoping this helps rather than confuses.)

At 10:19 PM 10/30/02 -0600, pat hayes wrote:

>Er..... guys, I need guidance. I was under the impression that our
>editoral task included incorporating the various aspects of datatyping
>into our various documents, and that rather than being a separate
>appendix, as it were, to RDF, that datatyping was now to be fully
>integrated into the main thread. In the context of the MT, this means that
>datatyping is pretty much the first thing that gets mentioned, since one
>needs it to define what a typed literal means, and one needs that in order
>to state the basic triple semantics for RDF in section 1.5. In other
>words, in the document I am now working on, there will be no such thing as
>a non-datatyped interpretation: datatyping will be built into the very
>foundation of the language. RDF will *include* datatyping.
>
>Recent messages from Dan C and Jeremy and Jos, however, have made me
>realize that some of us apparently expect the MT to be structured rather
>like it has been in the past, in that there would be a simple basic RDF
>notion of interpretation which had no such built-in stuff, and datatyping
>would be one of the later additions.
>
>So my question is, will incorporating datatyping into the basic RDF MT
>cause anyone grief? In particular, will it break the proposed API designs
>apparently being developed? Because if so, we have some hard thinking to
>do. I really don't see how I can make sense of typed literals without
>talking about datatypes and datatype mappings.
>
>Pat
>

>--
>IHMC                                    (850)434 8903   home
>40 South Alcaniz St.                    (850)202 4416   office
>Pensacola                                       (850)202 4440   fax
>FL 32501                                        (850)291 0667    cell
>phayes@ai.uwf.edu                 http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes
>s.pam@ai.uwf.edu   for spam

Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>