Re: Reworked sections on datatypes and literals

A few comments:

1. You say

   "RDF uses the datatype abstraction defined by XML Schema Part 2: Datatypes."

I think it is better to say

   "RDF uses a datatype abstraction compatable with XML Schema..."

since RDF datatyping does not include everything defined by
XML Schema, and we don't need nor want to create tighter dependendencies
with other specs than we need to. RDF Datatyping is not XML Schema
Datatypes. It's simply compatable with XML Schema Datatypes.

2. Regarding rdfs:XMLLiteral, it reads

   "With one exception, the datatypes used in RDF have a lexical space
    consisiting of a set of strings. The exception is rdfs:XMLLiteral, whose
    lexical space is a set of pairs of strings and language identifiers, and
    the value obtained through its datatype mapping depends on the language
    identifier."

Is this exception for XML literals really justified? If we are supposed to
treat XML literals the same as any other kind of literal, why not disregard
the xml:lang scope for them as well? Especially since it is straightforward
to define an xml:lang value for the XML literals directly. I.e., they are
literals within the RDF/XML instance, not part of the RDF/XML instance itself.
The fact that they happen to also be XML should not cause them to be infected
with syntactic machanisms specific to the RDF/XML serialization.

3. Could you expand

   "The predefined XML Schema datatypes [XML-SCHEMA2] are expected to be
    widely used for this purpose."

to something akin to

   "The predefined XML Schema datatypes [XML-SCHEMA2] are expected to be
    widely used for this purpose; though one is not limited only to the
    predefined XML Schema datatypes nor to XML Schema defined datatypes
    in particular. Any datatype which conforms to this specification may
    be used."

4. The statement

   "XML Schema Datatypes [XML-SCHEMA2] provides an extensibility framework
    suitable for defining new datatypes for use in RDF."

suggests that RDF will understand XML Schema datatype specifications in some
manner. Perhaps it should be deleted. It's enough to simply say that datatypes
are not defined by RDF, and those familiar with XML Schema will know how to
define new types. This goes hand-in-hand with #3 above, which clarifies that
users *can* define and use other datatypes than the pre-defined XML Schema
simple types.

Patrick

[Patrick Stickler, Nokia/Finland, (+358 40) 801 9690, patrick.stickler@nokia.com]