Re: rdf:first/rest/nil/List: syntax-only at the RDF level

briefly...

On Wed, 2002-10-30 at 17:00, pat hayes wrote:
[...]
> Equality, yes; but the proposed list semantics doesn't impose
> equality.

I assumed it did; I don't know what to think now that
you say this... I'm not sure what you mean by
"real lists" if it doesn't involve a functional
rdf:first.

> What would be the code problem of assuming that lists
> always exist?

On pragmatic grounds, I don't have a problem.
cwm makes this assumption, for example.
But on theoretical grounds...

[...]

> >I think it's important that semantically, the RDF layer
> >is just the existential-conjuctive fragment of FOL.
>
> OK, fine: I agree that has a nice solid feel to it. But then we can't
> have lists. Lists aren't even fully expressible in FOL, so I did
> rather wonder when they got absorbed into RDF.

There is that.

I still think having the short-hand list syntax
is a good thing, and that it's usable in WebOnt.
I wish I could collect my thoughts in a convincing
message, but I think maybe the phone will be
necessary.