Re: No more labeled nodes

>On Wed, 2002-10-30 at 16:37, pat hayes wrote:
>[...]
>>  Then Dave can just delete "identified by".  Nodes *are* urirefs
>
>yes, please.
>

>Some details:
>
>>  --------
>>
>>  0.2 Graph syntax

>>  To describe RDF graphs it is first necessary to define the things
>>  that can act as nodes and arcs of the graph. There are three kinds of
>>  node in an RDF graph: urirefs, blank nodes and literals. A uriref is
>>  defined to be a URI reference in the sense of [RFC 2396]. Blank
>
>to be an +absolute+ URI reference in the sense of...

OK, will fix

>>  (unlabeled) nodes are considered to be drawn from some set of
>>  'anonymous' syntactic entities which have no label and are unique to
>>  the graph. Two graphs which differ only by having different blank
>>  nodes are isomorphic;
>
>I think I know what you mean there, but it doesn't seem
>very precise. Hmm...

Right, that needs a bit of work.

>>  we will not bother to distinguish between
>>  isomorphic graphs. Literals come in several forms. Simple literals
>>  consist of a unicode character string plus an optional XML language
>>  tag;
>
>Please, no. Just like urirefs *are* labels, strings *are*
>literals, please. That is:
>
>	Simple literas are either unicode character strings
>	or unicode character strings paired with a
>	language tag.

OK, I can go with that.

>(language tags aren't novel to XML; they're an Internet-wide
>thing.)

Hmmm. So there could be non-XML lang tags? What happens if one of
those is used on an XML literal?

>>  typed literals consist of a unicode character string paired with
>>  a uriref which indicates a datatype; and a special class of XML typed
>>  literals is distinguished which can also have an XML lang tag.
>>  Finally, every arc in an RDF graph is labelled with a uriref. The
>>  same uriref may label several arcs and also be a node in the graph.
>>  An RDF graph can then be formally defined as a set of triples of the
>>  form <S, P, O>, where P is a uriref, S is either a uriref or a blank
>>  node, and O is either a uriref, a blank node, or a literal.
>[... very nicely put...]

Well, I think those were your words at the end there, in fact.

Pat

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola              			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501           				(850)291 0667    cell
s.pam@ai.uwf.edu   for spam