Re: rdfs:StringLiteral

From: pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 17:37:28 -0600
To: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org

>Pat:
>>  undatatyped literals were indeed un-datatyped
>
>fine. I'll roll back,

You are such a REASONABLE bloke, Jeremy :-)

>>  rdfs:XMLLiteral is a masterpiece
>
>and Pat skilfully chooses an option that wasn't really meant to be on the
>table - I am afraid that will be the most work for me, but it shouldn't be
>too bad - but your flattery compensates for the additional work!
>
>Thinking about it, it probably will read OK, possibly better, than either of
>the alternatives I had given.
>
>I'll be down to one built-in datatype, which is clearly then a special case.
>It (alone) needs a lang tag in its interpretation, so that too is a special
>and unique case that then is non-genralizable (which will please brian).
>
>Having two sorts of literal typed and untyped is manageable (more manageable
>than three). And getting the XML stuff out of the abstract syntax into the
>datatyping will hopefully please Tim and Massimo.

And, by the way, it also fits very nicely into the Lbase proposal,
which also includes XML structures as a special case (because there
was no other way to get them into it.)

Pat

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola              			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501           				(850)291 0667    cell