RE: more comments Re: top-level Comment on lBase

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 14:44:10 +0200
To: "Graham Klyne" <Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>
Cc: <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>

> At 09:15 AM 10/25/02 +0200, Jeremy Carroll wrote:
> >A quick reply to one of pat's questions and then a list of
> review comments.
> >
> > > ?? Can you say why XML Schema is nonmonotonic??
> >
> >default attributes in the syntax
>
> Is this at all meaningful?  Absent some notion of entailment or
> inference,
> which I don't see in XML schema, I'm not sure what it means to be
> monotonic.

Perhaps not, but in that sense the lBase doc has then also excluded XML
Schema from being a semantic web language, since (unless you buy some of
pfps's contortions in Yin/Yang), it cannot be expressed as a logical
language in the way that lBase requires.

I think being less ambitious and more specific in scope is desirable.

Jeremy