Re: simple entailments for numerals

From: Jos De_Roo <jos.deroo.jd@belgium.agfa.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 12:53:30 +0200
To: "Graham Klyne <Graham.Klyne" <Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>
Cc: "w3c-rdfcore-wg" <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>

I know (is important for imaging)
my take now is always take IEEE 754 double and stay within
te preserved interval of xsd:long and xsd:unsignedLong

-- ,

                    Graham Klyne
                    <Graham.Klyne@MIMEsw       To:     "Jos De_Roo" <jos.deroo.jd@belgium.agfa.com>
                    eeper.com>                 cc:     "w3c-rdfcore-wg" <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
                                               Subject:     Re: simple entailments for numerals

Jos, a nit:

You're mixing representations here that are usually used for integers and
floats respectively.

I have seen a compelling case argued (I think it was part of the XSD
debate) that for the purposes of computation these should be regarded as
distinct value spaces, as computer-floats behave in several ways subtly
differently than integers and reals.

Ahh... Google is sooo good! See [1].

[1]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xml-schema-comments/2000JanMar/0130.html

At 10:18 PM 10/22/02 +0200, Jos De_Roo wrote:

>[just to report some experience]
>it seems to me that numbers are important
>so in
>   :Jenny :age '10' .
>the '10' (which is *not* the "10" but a
>syntactic shorthand for xsd:decimal"10" or
>any subclassed value of it)
>denotes the number 10
>and so
>   :Jenny :age '10' .