Re: Typed literals: current status

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: 22 Oct 2002 10:18:45 -0500
To: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org

On Tue, 2002-10-22 at 01:14, Jeremy Carroll wrote:

> Patrick:
> > Are we making it clear somewhere that 'datatype' (unless
> > otherwise specified) refers to an instance of rdfs:Datatype?

In fact, the answer I got about rdf:datatype specifics suggested
to me that we're not using datatype URIs as names at all;
the design doesn't seem to have anything to do with what those
URIs denote.

"unless otherwise specified"??? that's non-monotonic.

> this looks to me like a model theoretic closure rule, possibly at the RDFS
> level (before any specific datatypes are assumed)
>
> i.e.
>
> aaa ppp <datatype>lll .
>
> rdfs-entails
>
> <datatype> rdf:type rdfs:Datatype .
>

> Comments, (Pat?)

Gads, I hope not! Up to now, RDFS closures have not
involved deconstructing literals. I hope we
don't start now!