Re: datatype literals and lang codes

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 09:12:43 +0200
To: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org

> Thinking in the bath

I trust you logged the hot water as a business expense!

[[
Does:

  <a> <b> "chat"<xsd:string>-"en" .

datatype entail:

  <a> <b> "chat"<xsd:string>-"fr" .
]]

Answer:

yes.

===

i.e. under the solution sketched by Graham that appeared to have wide
support, within a system that uses xsd:string the above entailment holds. At
the pure RDF level (no datatyping) then it does not hold.

I understood that it was that subtle distinction that allows Patrick to
believe that he can both have his cake and eat it.

I am building on the assumption that that solution is the one we are going
with; but at the end of the day this is Pat's call I think. From the point
of the view of the abstract syntax what the solution (big picture) gives me
is a view in which having the lang codes is coherent - whether I permit any
of that coherency to be apparant is, of course, another issue.

Jeremy