So now we have tidy literals...

From: Graham Klyne <GK@NineByNine.org>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 16:49:11 +0100
To: RDF core WG <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>

Now that we have tidy literals, do we actually agree what (tidy) kind of
thing they actually denote, so we can say something sensible in the
concepts document?

I.e., in:

   Jenny age "10" .

is there anything to say about what the "10" actually denotes?

 From past discussion, I'm expecting that the answer will be that a literal
denotes a composite value consisting of a Uniocode string, a language code
and an XML flag, or something of that kind.  That would tally with the
current abstract syntax description [1].

On that basis, my proposed additional text for section 2.4.3 of the
concepts document would be:
[[
An untyped literal is either a string literal or an XML literal, either of
which consists of a sequence of Unicode characters and a language
code.  See section 3.2 for details.
]]

[1]
http://www.ninebynine.org/wip/RDF-concepts/2002-10-10/rdf-concepts.html#section-Graph-Literal