possible untidy route

From: pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 12:38:21 +0100
To: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org

I hesitate to tread into this yet again lest I fall through the
crust, but heres an idea which might just keep everyone happy. It is
a variant on the old idea of semantically untidy literals, but it
still supports the critical tidy-style entailment.

In our test-case style, here are the entailments you would get.

Jenny ex:age '10' .
ex:movie ex:title '10' .

Jenny ex:age _:x .
ex:movie ex:title _:x .

BUT if you also say (ignore syntactic details)

ex:age dtyperange xsd:integer .
ex:title dtyperange xsd:string .

then that is OK, and now you can infer

Jenny ex:age _:y .
_:y xsd:integer '10' .

ex:movie ex:title _:z .
_:z xsd:string '10' .

Obviously _:y isn't the same as _:z. The cost is, that _:x isn't the
same as either of them. In fact, _:x can't be a datatype value for
*any* datatype. Think of it as a kind of generic exemplar for the set
of all the possible datatype values, or something like that. Still,
it *exists*.

This could work with lexically tidy literals, but it would be classed
as semantically untidy, I guess. But it would be easy to tweak the MT
to allow this.

Any takers? Questions?

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola               			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501            				(850)291 0667    cell