Re: Untyped literals/datatyping: another test case

From: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 09:37:56 +0100
To: Graham Klyne <GK@NineByNine.org>, RDF core WG <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>

At 12:43 30/09/2002 +0100, Graham Klyne wrote:

>This simple entailment test came to me while formulating some words about
>datatyping...
>
>   ex:prop rdf:range xsd:integer .
>   ex:subj ex:prop "10" .
>
>entails/doesnot entail:
>
>   ex:subj ex:prop xsd:integer"10" .

So let me check my understanding here.  With tidy semantics, this
entailment does not hold, because if it did, then given:

   <a> <b> "10" .
   <c> <d> "10" .

we entail:

If we now add to the premises

   <b> rdfs:range xsd:string .
   <d> rdfs:range xsd:decimal .

then the entailment would no longer hold.

That would be non-monotonic and monotonicity is a must for the model theory.