Re: comments on http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-rdf-schema-20021112/

>Yes, I am assuming that two classes with the same members are the same class.

RDFS doesn't make that assumption (although it is *consistent* with
that, if you want to assume it.) Think of 'class' as meaning
something like 'classification category' or 'concept', eg it is
traditional to distinguish the concepts 'hairless bipedal arthropod'
and 'human' even though they have the same instances. RDFS allows
such 'intensional' usages.

>If that is not true of rdfs:Class, then either
>1. you are talking about "currently known members" of a class
>or
>2. you are talking about two "different contexts",
>i.e., two different ways of viewing the same individuals,
>with two different sets of relations to other classes.
>
>If 1. or 2. is not true, then you're not talking about reality.

We are simply allowing intensional distinctions between concepts
which happen to 'accidentally' have the same instances. That is
perfectly coherent, and indeed has been argued to be a desireable
property of a description language by many eminent authorities.

Pat Hayes

>Dick McCullough
><http://rhm.cdepot.net/>knowledge := man do identify od existent done
>knowledge haspart list of proposition

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola              			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501           				(850)291 0667    cell
s.pam@ai.uwf.edu   for spam