Re: More on XSD in RDF

>Excellent summary, Jeremy. And this definitely touches on my concerns about
>the basis being used for certain entailment tests involving relations between
>datatypes -- as to where those relationships are defined and whether those
>relationships sync with the RDF definition for rdfs:Datatype.
>
>My impression is that while there is evidently a problem with
>equality in XML Schema
>simple datatypes, it is not per se a problem with RDF Datatyping.
>
>I.e., it should be sufficient to (a) note the problems in XML Schema
>and (b) submit
>suggestions to the XML Schema WG, but I don't see how this impacts the current
>RDF datatyping model.
>
>If XML Schema says that xsd:float and xsd:decimal have disjunct value spaces,
>we may wish to disagree and consider that a bug, but that doesn't affect how
>those datatypes are modeled in RDF. It simply means that the assertion
>
>    xsd:decimal rdfs:subClassOf xsd:decimal .
>
>(and/or visa versa) is (possibly) in conflict with the XML Schema spec.
>So what. That's not RDF's problem and RDF is not creating the problem.
>If the XML Schema spec says "1.0"^^xsd:decimal != "1.0"^^xsd.float  (and
>my understanding is that it does say this) then applications should respect
>that if they are using those datatypes.
>
>If the XML Schema datatype relations are either broken or ill
>defined, then fix them.
>
>The RDF datatyping model is then providing a benefit to the XML community by
>shining a light on the problem.

I absolutely agree. It is not our job to fix or even to clarify XSD
datatyping. We can state our requirements in terms of what
information a datatype-savvy inference engine would require and what
inferences it can draw as a result, without once making any
substantial claims about what the actual data obtained from XSD would
actually be. If Dan and Jeremy wish to help XML Schema get their
house in order, then all strength to them. In the meantime, however,
we should get on with our job.

Pat

>Eh?
>
>Patrick
>
>[Patrick Stickler, Nokia/Finland, (+358 40) 801 9690,
>patrick.stickler@nokia.com]

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola              			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501           				(850)291 0667    cell
s.pam@ai.uwf.edu   for spam