RE: freenet URIs and URI ownership

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 20:15:41 +0100
To: "Jeremy Carroll" <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, "Dan Connolly" <connolly@w3.org>, "Frank Manola" <fmanola@mitre.org>
Cc: <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>

Frank asked me to explain what the problem was better ...

DanC's news URI is perhaps a better ownerless example.

With the freenet ones it's perhaps a wording problem:

> [[
> The social conventions surrounding use of RDF include the idea
> that each URI
> 'belongs to' somebody who has authority and responsibility for
> defining its
> meaning.

Perhaps changing this wording to explicitly talk about URLs allows the owner
to retain anonymity ... As is, this wording permits the Mr Example to
publish a press release (not on the web) to announce the meaning of
http://www.example.com/ .

Hmmm ... maybe I am reading this too closely.

Jeremy