Re: NTriple review

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 12:18:39 +0000
To: Dave Beckett <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>, w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org

>>language ::= [a-z0-9][a-z0-9-]+
>>(delete ref to REC-xml#sec-lang-tag)
> Why?  I guess this is incomplete since it is refering obliquely to
> multiple changing RFCs.  Is checking this unimportant?  Is it defined
> elsewhere that is better pointed at?

This is editorial at this point, sounds as though we should stick with
what you've got.

> If I used the above defn, it would be good to explain where it came
> from.

If you ant that then something like grahams text
    The language tag is composed of one or more parts: A primary language
    subtag and a (possibly empty) series of subsequent subtags.

    The syntax of this tag in ABNF [RFC 2234] is:

     Language-Tag = Primary-subtag *( "-" Subtag )

     Primary-subtag = 1*8ALPHA

     Subtag = 1*8(ALPHA / DIGIT)

    The productions ALPHA and DIGIT are imported from RFC 2234; they
    denote respectively the characters A to Z in upper or lower case and
    the digits from 0 to 9.  The character "-" is HYPHEN-MINUS (ABNF:

is the relevant stuff from RFC 3066, XML got burnt because this was a
change from RFC 1766 which XML initially copied.
In terms of N-triple syntax, a minimal change to your text would be

language ::= ( character - ('.'|'^' | ws )) +

to avoid the ambiguity on datatyping, keeping the comment.