Re: rdfs:Datatype question

>At 13:08 02/11/2002 +0200, Patrick Stickler wrote:
>
>>IMO, we need rdfs:Datatype to define the set of classes which
>>have the required characteristics for RDF datatyping, namely
>>a lexical space, a value space, and an N:1 mapping from the
>>lexical value space where N > 0.
>>
>>The term rdfs:Datatype is a means to give a name to the set
>>of RDF Classes which exhibit those characteristics.
>
>That is a good point, which I translate as: the model theory may say
>nothing about the meaning of rdfs:Datatype, but would it be useful
>to applications, e.g.  for example, knowing that something is a
>datatype could trigger an app to go to its datatype implementation
>registry and look for an implementation.  I'm not entirely convinced
>by that example.  Maybe Patrick has one.

OK, fair enough. I withdraw my PROPOSAL. But be warned that the
following will be valid in RDFS:

aaa ppp "string"^^ddd .

--->

aaa ppp _:xxx .
_:xxx rdf:type ddd .
ddd rfd:type rdfs:Datatype .

and there would be a reverse implication,  if there were a way to say
what the lexical form of the value of ppp looked like (the old
rdf:value, remember?? Ahh, those were the days.... )

>Intuitively, it would seem a bit strange to have a concept like the
>class of datatypes and not have a name for it.

True.

Pat

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola              			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501           				(850)291 0667    cell
s.pam@ai.uwf.edu   for spam