Re: rdfs:Datatype question

From: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2002 11:41:07 +0000
To: "Patrick Stickler" <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>, <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>, "ext pat hayes" <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>

At 13:08 02/11/2002 +0200, Patrick Stickler wrote:

>IMO, we need rdfs:Datatype to define the set of classes which
>have the required characteristics for RDF datatyping, namely
>a lexical space, a value space, and an N:1 mapping from the
>lexical value space where N > 0.
>
>The term rdfs:Datatype is a means to give a name to the set
>of RDF Classes which exhibit those characteristics.

That is a good point, which I translate as: the model theory may say
nothing about the meaning of rdfs:Datatype, but would it be useful to
applications, e.g.  for example, knowing that something is a datatype could
trigger an app to go to its datatype implementation registry and look for
an implementation.  I'm not entirely convinced by that example.  Maybe
Patrick has one.

Intuitively, it would seem a bit strange to have a concept like the class
of datatypes and not have a name for it.

Brian