Re: delete Primer section on Boolean-valued properties?

With apologies for giving you conflicting advice...

On Tue, 2002-11-05 at 16:39, Frank Manola wrote:

> Section 4.3.2 of the Primer describes how to do Boolean-valued
> properties in RDF (because at the time RDF lacked any built-in values
> for TRUE and FALSE.)  The section was added because I was explicitly
> directed to cover it, but this was before we had datatypes.

Yes... I might have asked you to do that.

I remember, now, that there are all these "how do I do XYZ?"
questions among RDF users, and it would be nice for the
primer to answer them. (hence my offer to clarify
rdf:Alt, which I gather you ended up dealing with
without my help.)

So while I'd like to minimize the explanation of generalities
and background material in the primer, I support explaining
how users should go about specific tasks.

I think 2 or 3 examples of how to deal with boolean characteristics
is in order... one using a class, say GoodThing, but noting we
don't have rdf:notType, so this doesn't give you BadThing for
free... you might mention owl:complementOf in there...
and another example using xsd:boolean.

>  Now that we
> *do* have datatypes, the section looks a bit strange (you can just use
> xsd:boolean, a point I recently added to the section).  Brian has
> suggested this section be removed (which I thought about doing in the
> process of producing the current Primer version), but I was reluctant to
> do this on "editor's discretion" alone, because the section is only
> there because the WG asked for it.  If anyone has any good reasons for
> keeping it, let me know, otherwise I'd like to delete it.

I don't mind deleting it too much.

But while you're thinking about this sort of stuff...
Do you have examples of dealing with n-ary relations?

I saw recent discussion of things versus their names;
I'm intersted to have that explained in the primer.