Re: more feedback

At 09:51 AM 11/1/02 +0000, Brian McBride wrote:

>At 23:46 31/10/2002 -0600, pat hayes wrote:
>
>>Just how minimal do we want the list semantics to be? In particular, is
>>this satisfiable? :
>>
>>7.
>>rdf:nil rdf:rest _:xxx .
>>
>>? Or can I rule that out? If not, our claim that lists are bounded seems
>>rather hollow, and that was the point of having them in the first place.....
>
>Here I want to float an idea I have mentioned offline to Pat.
>
>Would it make sense to restrict the structure of collections in the
>*abtract syntax*.  Don't worry Dave, I don't think it affects the XML
>syntax - it can only produce well formed lists already.  We write the
>abstract syntax so that lists must be syntactically well formed.  Anything
>else is not well formed RDF.

I like the thinking, but...

This might open the possibility that the merge of two well-formed graphs is
itself not well-formed.

Example:

Graph 1:

    ex:head rdf:first ex:item1 .
    ex:head rdf:rest  rdf:Nil .      <<<*** is that rdf:Nil or rdf:nil, BTW ???

Graph 2:
    ex:head rdf:first ex:item2 .
    ex:head rdf:rest  rdf:Nil .

Separately, these are well-formed, but if merged then ex:head then has two
rdf:first properties.  Is this a problem?

#g

Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>