W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org > May 2002

Telecon draft minutes 2002-05-24

From: Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 14:05:54 +0100 (BST)
To: RDFCore Working Group <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
Message-ID: <Pine.GSO.4.44.0205271318540.17551-100000@mail.ilrt.bris.ac.uk>
RDFCore WG minutes for the telecon 2002-05-24

Transcript:
	http://ilrt.org/discovery/chatlogs/rdfcore/2002-05-24

Agenda:
	http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2002May/0086.html

Roll Call-

Participants:

   - Dave Beckett
   - Dan Brickley
   - Brian McBride (chair)
   - Jeremy Carroll
   - Dan Connolly
   - Ron Daniel
   - Mike Dean
   - Jos De Roo
   - Jan Grant (scribe)
   - Pat Hayes
   - Graham Kline
   - Frank Manola
   - Steve Petschulat
   - Pat Stickler
   - Guha

Regrets:
  Eric Miller

Item 3: Review agenda

With regret the WG accepted the resignation from Martin Horner, who is
no longer working for Profium.

The WG wishes to thank Martin for his fine work.

Item 4: Next telecon 10am Boston time, 31 May 2002

Item 5: Review minutes of previous telecon.

The minutes:
	http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2002May/0068.html
were APPROVED.

Item 6: Confirm status of completed actions
  Jeremy's charmod comments were discussed cduring the telecon.

Item 7: Confirm status of withdrawn actions

Item 8: Outstanding issues
  See: http://www.w3.org/2000/03/rdf-tracking
  Dave B asked for faq-html-compliance to be raised as AOB.


[ The following items were discussed out of order in the telecon: to
  follow the transcript, the agenda was tackled in order:
  10, 11, 9, 14, 13
]


Item 9: Issue: rdfs-isDefinedBy-semantics

	http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2002May/0102.html

There was some discussion of what "informal semantics" were, and what
isDefinedBy should point to (if anything).

Eventually it was decided that the document editor should update the
proposal in light of the discussion to try to close the issue next week.

ACTION 2002-05-24#4 (danbri) to update the isDefinedBy proposal (with
	help from Guha) in light of the discussion in the 2002-05-24
	telecon


Item 10: Review comments on Charmod

Jeremy's comments:
	http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2002May/0080.html

Jeremy summarised his comments: we agree (on the whole) with charmod
(except for the dependence on IRI); we may not currently conform and
make no guarantee to conform with this revision (due to time
constraints).

ACTION 2002-05-24#1 (jjc) to submit his comments (minus N-Triples
	mention) to the I18N WG as representing this WG's position.


Item 11: daml:collection

The WG had some discussion on the options that appeared available:
- "bless" daml:collection in some form (most major parser
  implementations had the machinery to support this)
  DaveB pointed out that there would be an impact on delivery of the
  syntax document if this was adopted.

  There was concern about making a normative reference into a namespace
  not "owned" by W3C, so "daml" would have to be replaced if this
  were followed. Since OWL may well be making its own namespace changes,
  this was not felt by all to be a problem (although Mike Dean expressed
  concerns)

- use daml:collection's first/rest but without the syntactic sugar
  (WebOnt were likely to reject this out of hand)
- add a "max index" to the existing rdf:_n collections.
  DanC and Jos both expressed a strong dislike for this option.

ACTION 2002-05-24#2 (danc) to write up a proposal for incorporating
	daml:collection into RDF
ACTION 2002-05-24#3 (jos) to produce test cases to go with the
	daml:collection proposal


Item 13: Document status and schedules


Syntax: DaveB was concerned that there are still no decisions on
  literals, containers.
MT: Pat indicated teh document was converging nicely and would continue
  to do so as long as the WG didn't suddenly decide it liked nontidy
  literals



Item 14: Dark triples

  Jonathan Borden's summary of the need for unasserted triples:
	http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2002May/0168.html

  Guha indicated that RDF's reification provided sufficient
  syntactic mechanisms to support unasserted triples, but that he'd
  recently been convinced (offline) that "since the syntax is so
  complicated, [WebOnt] aren't going to accept it".


The meeting ran out of time at this point and was closed.



-- 
jan grant, ILRT, University of Bristol. http://www.ilrt.bris.ac.uk/
Tel +44(0)117 9287088 Fax +44 (0)117 9287112 RFC822 jan.grant@bris.ac.uk
Hang on, wasn't he holding a wooden parrot? No! It was a porcelain owl.
Received on Monday, 27 May 2002 09:08:03 EDT

This archive was generated by hypermail pre-2.1.9 : Wednesday, 3 September 2003 09:48:15 EDT