RE: XML Base

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 14:05:09 -0000
To: "Brian McBride" <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, "Dave Beckett" <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>
Cc: <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
Jeremy:
> >Seems like a proposal to:
> >
> >- draw the relevant XML wg's attention to difficulties in interpretating
> >xml:base with same document references, (particularly when the base is a
> >URIref).
> >
> >- select the xml:base test cases that:
> >   - test general URI resolution
> >   - test general xml:base behaviour
> >   and mark them as non-normative
Brian:
> or just delete them.  Can we have a list of the ones you think we should
> keep and we can try to decide this Friday.

My original message highlighted:
[[[
Test case 007 - 013
    examples of the combination of a base URI and a
    relative URI or same document reference, showing
    various different cases.
]]]

and the three error cases (now error001/test017 and test 15 and 16).

===

I have difficulty with deleting these, since practically these are:
+ significant
+ subject to dispute

Hence, refusing to judge on this, because it is not in our competence, acts
to make the meaning of RDF/XML documents that contain XML Base (in the
dubious cases) doubtful.

The fact that they generate discussion is indicative of the need for at
least guidance from the WG; even if it is not in our competence.

Some of these test cases are no brainers, others do commit to a position.

The former are not objectionable and can be retained without much problem;
the latter are needed for a standard use of xml:base.

I am arguing a catch 22, if you want to delete these, it is because some
people disagree with them, which is why we need them. I am happy with
deleting the ones that nobody disagrees with.

cf.
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2002Mar/0061.html

which disagrees with some of these test cases.

Jeremy