Re: Datatyping issue, too many options?

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 16:59:10 -0800
To: Patrick Stickler <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org
>On 2002-03-12 14:04, "ext Graham Klyne" <GK@NineByNine.org> wrote:
>>  A very much lesser possible issue:  is the name "rdfs:drange" appropriate
>>  for its use to indicate allowable lexical forms?
>Since rdfs:drange has no semantic relationship to rdfs:range and
>does not in fact define any constraints which can be tested by
>a generic RDFS Validator, it seems that a different name would be
>a good idea.
>Jos and I had discussed the possibility of rdfs:datatype, and
>some of my N3 examples at the f2f reflected that.
>What rdfs:datatype (rdfs:drange) is really doing is simply associating
>a datatype with a property, so that some extra-RDF application is
>aware of the datatype context within which values of either idiom
>are to be interpreted.

Right, exactly. I would be happy with that change. We ought, however,
to make it very clear that this association of a datatype only
applies to the objects of the property, not their subjects. And be
ready for someone to complain that it ought to apply to subjects

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax