Re: A very short list of residual datatyping issues (just one ;-)

From: Patrick Stickler <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 13:03:24 +0200
To: ext Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, RDF Core <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
On 2002-03-11 19:58, "ext Brian McBride" <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com> wrote:

>> b) The present proposal does not provide any means of using
>>    rdfs:range to constrain the values of datatyped properties
>>    without resulting in the inability to use both global or
>>    local idioms freely and without conflict.
> Thats issue 2, but I don't know what it means.  Test case please.

I provided some N3 during the f2f, but here is one again...

Taking the present proposed interpretation that a datatype URI
denotes only its value space:

   age rdfs:range xsd:integer .

   Bob age [ a xsd:integer; xsd:integer "35" ] .

works OK, since the bNode is a member of the value
space of xsd:integer; but

   Bob age "35" .

generates a range constraint conflict since "35" is
a member of the lexical space, not value space of

This problem does not exist with a union interpretation.