Re: xml:lang [was Re: Outstanding Issues ]

And to add to Misha's comment:

There is no tag for locale.  Anywhere.

The reason often stated is that locale is a client concept, not a data concept.
Of course, in the example below, it is a data concept.  Another reason is that
locales are not standardized - and this is actually a bigger problem.

In order to determine equivalency between 2 different locale-based formats,
standard internal representations would have to be agreed upon, which are not
necessarily US format.  In fact, most internal representations of numeric values
are usually more cryptic than a locale-based format, for efficiency.

Andrea