RE: xml:lang [was Re: Outstanding Issues ]

I haven't seen Pat's examples, but want to stress that locale and
language are very different concepts and that xml:lang is defined for
language, not for locale.  It is perfectly OK for someone in France to
write in English and for someone in the UK to write in French.  This
does not magically interchange the meanings of instances of "1,234" and
"1.234" found within their documents.

Misha

On 07/03/2002 11:02:06 Jeremy Carroll wrote:
> I clearly had misunderstood somewhat, thanks for the full response.
>
> > Yes indeed, we would have to agree that
> >     "10,03"-fi equal? "10.03"-en
> > is out of scope, but not because the I18N WG/IG requires all
> > XML documents to use XML Schema formatted datatypes only, but
> > because any spec that would want to define the above equivalences
> > for a significant number of languages and datatypes in an
> > interoperable and user-acceptable way might take years or more.
>
> Personally, I think this leaves Pat's examples as in scope (eventually),
> rather than out-of-scope.
>
> Jeremy

the views of Reuters Ltd.