RE: possible way out of maze? [was: Re: xml:lang [was Re: Outstan ding Issues ]]

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 18:30:56 -0000
To: "Ronald Daniel" <rdaniel@interwoven.com>, "'Pat Hayes'" <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>, "Frank Manola" <fmanola@mitre.org>
Cc: <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>

> > PS. One case which this might not handle well would be where the one
> > string means different things in different languages. Are there any
> > cases like that?
>
> "Chat", in French, is a cat. In English, it is an informal conversation.

I like "shopping".

In British English it involves going to the supermarket and getting food; in
italian you go to the posh shops and (at least think about) spend(ing) lots
of money on stylish clothes. They are really very distinct activities.

"shopping"/en-uk = "spesi"/it

I am not really quite sure hopw to say "shopping"/it in English.

Jeremy