Re: new semantics initiative

On 2002-06-15 2:13, "ext patrick hayes" <phayes@ai.uwf.edu> wrote:

>> At 12:07 12/06/2002 -0500, patrick hayes wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> What is wrong with URI inspection?
>>
>> Questions:
>>
>>   o what uri prefix should be used?  Is it ok to insist on an http: prefix?
>
> I would guess so. I would expect that it would be done the same way
> that the W3C handles the RDF and RDFS vocabulary, by a URL linking to
> a set-in-stone page.

No, it is *not* acceptable to insist on *any* particular URI scheme.

>>   o how will names in this namespace be allocated?
>
> Do you mean how procedurally? Thats up the W3C. I would guess that a
> WG would submit some kind of application to some internal
> secretariat, or something like that. Isnt this kind of stuff all set
> out in the W3C process manual somewhere? For example, we are
> proposing to create an rdfd: namespace, right? Like that.

If we replace 'namespace' with 'vocabulary', then I agree.

The benefit of having distinct functional vocabularies such as
RDF, RDFS, Datatyping, etc. is so that applications can more
accurately and economically define the terms they support.

But whether each of those functional vocabularies employs a
distinct XML Namespace for the RDF/XML serialization is simply
not signficant to the definition and management of those
vocabularies.

Keep in mind that, for XML applications, namespaces are distinct,
and thus provide an explicit denotation for a set of terms.

RDF on the other hand, has no concept of namespaces, and thus
sets of terms corresponding to vocabularies must be defined in
some other manner -- at the moment, simply by prose.

The 1:1 correlation between RDF vocabularies and the XML
namespaces used to serialize them is both misleading and
meaningless.