Re: new semantics initiative

From: patrick hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 18:18:30 -0500
To: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org

>At 12:07 12/06/2002 -0500, patrick hayes wrote:
>
>[...]
>
>>I really do NOT want to introduce a syntax extension, which
>>introduces all kinds of extra complexity. We have agreed that
>>contexts are out of scope.
>
>True, but if contexts would fix it, maybe we must revisit that
>decision.  Why bodge things now and then provide a better mechanism
>later.

Its not a bodge, more like a hole in the RDF wall that can be used
later to pass things through. We don't need to decide exactly what is
going to be passed through, but we do need to make sure there is a
hole there somewhere.

Seriously, this isn't really a technical solution: its just leaving
some room in the RDF REC for solutions to be proposed in future
without re-writing the REC. If we have to get a technical solution
worked out in detail we will never get done; and in any case it
really isn't our (ie RDF core WG's job) to work out that much
technical detail, seems to me. All we need to do is to make sure that
we give Webont (and others) room to maneuver when *they* work out a
technical solution.

Pat

IHMC					(850)322 0319   cell
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax