Re: new semantics initiative

From: Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 09:52:18 +0100 (BST)
To: Patrick Stickler <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>
cc: Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>, Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, RDF Core <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>, Jonathan Borden <jonathan@openhealth.org>

On Wed, 12 Jun 2002, Patrick Stickler wrote:

> On 2002-06-12 7:23, "ext patrick hayes" <phayes@ai.uwf.edu> wrote:
>
> > ...instead, we (ie the RDF coreWG) assume that the W3C will
> > eventually have the good sense to declare that a certain namespace is
> > *globally* understood to be 'rdf-invisible', in that any triples
> > which use urirefs from that namespace are not asserted in any RDF
> > graph.
>
> Sorry to rain on the parade, but this is nonsense. Namespaces
> are not significant nor represented in the RDF graph, and there
> is no formal relationship between a URI and whatever namespace
> prefix was used to hack it into the RDF/XML serialization.

Agreed; I'd rather see some syntactic mechanism for darkening (or more
generally, colouring*) triples that doesn't rely on URI inspection. In
particular, URI inspection doesn't need to be written into the MT
documents - it should just appeal to darkness (or otherwise) that's
determined through a mechanism external to the document.

jan

* ie, contexts, again

perl -e 's?ck?t??print:perl==pants if $_="Just Another Perl Hacker\n"'