Re: datatypes discussion on other lists

On 2002-07-11 22:03, "ext Brian McBride" <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com> wrote:

> I have sent, at last, the datatypes message to rdf interest and rdf logic
> and await the explosion.
>
> I have modified it from the draft approved by the WG in the light of recent
> discussion.  I trust the WG will approve of the modification.
>
> At the f2f and elsewhere, concern has been raised the we might simply
> repeat the discussion, in all its confusion and volume, that we have had in
> RDFCore, in a wider forum.  It would be a disaster if that were to happen.
>
> I am not sure what other WG's have done in the past, and would welcome
> guidance from those who have been here before.
>
> However, I strongly suggest that members of the WG refrain from any form of
> advocacy for their preferred position on the other lists.  We are seeking
> input from the community on this issue, not a debate.
>
> I recognise that what is advocacy and what is helpful explanation is a
> difficult line to draw.  I am loathe to suggest gagging people, but I also
> suggest that folks leave it to me to answer for the WG on any questions or
> issues that arise on the other lists.  If anyone is dissatisfied with
> anything I say, then raise that with me first and we will correct it.
>
> Brian

I'm happy with that.

I would further recommend that replies from the WG include a very
strong aversion to address questions about "Why not option X" and
simply focus on answering questions that enable folks to decide
between A and D and take the replies as they come.

I.e., those replies that attempt to debate issues other than the
explicit choice between A or D are simply ignored -- in the interest of
avoiding long discussion threads -- and folks should be made aware
that if they can't choose between A or D, then their input in this
matter is out of scope, for the time being.

Of course, folks will be able to raise other issues about datatyping
once the first WD is published.

Cheers,