Re: literal value terminology (was: Re: Review of MT)

From: Patrick Stickler <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 10:36:01 +0200
To: ext Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>, Sergey Melnik <melnik@db.stanford.edu>
CC: RDF Core <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
On 2002-01-23 0:02, "ext Pat Hayes" <phayes@ai.uwf.edu> wrote:

> ... My basic understanding is that the terms
> "lexical space" and "value space" refer respectively to syntactic and
> semantic kinds of things. ...

I've not seen any comments to my earlier proposal

   'literal'        the RDF/XML string representing an rdfs:Literal
   'lexical value'  member of lexical space of "some" datatype
   'data value'     member of value space of "some" datatype

by which the MT would refer to 'data value' rather than 'literal value'
to denote the semantic thing, and we can talk about literals and
lexical values in the datatyping definitions, and the two sync up
on the common term 'data value' as the member of the value space.

Thus, it is clear in the MT that it is not speaking of lexical
things, but of semantic things denoted by lexical/syntactic
representations in the graph.

Eh?

Patrick