Re: literal value terminology (was: Re: Review of MT)

From: Martyn Horner <martyn.horner@profium.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 16:07:55 +0100
To: Patrick Stickler <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>
CC: ext Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>, Sergey Melnik <melnik@db.stanford.edu>, RDF Core <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
Patrick Stickler wrote:

> I've not seen any comments to my earlier proposal
>
>    'literal'        the RDF/XML string representing an rdfs:Literal
>    'lexical value'  member of lexical space of "some" datatype
>    'data value'     member of value space of "some" datatype

> Eh?
>
> Patrick

Patrick,

I know Pat's already replied to this but I must just point out that this
proposal must rule itself out on lexical grounds alone (regardless of
its `value'). You've used `value' three times, once in the fundamental
sense of a `value space' and then casually in a term for the other side.
I also note you use `data' three times but I can only object to that on
aesthetic grounds.

I'd humbly suggest we restrict the use of `value' to `value space' items
and use `lexical' only for syntactic items and use `data' as a free
radical for both. That jumbles up your table rather messily, I'm afraid.

Martyn

--
Martyn Horner <martyn.horner@profium.com>
Profium, Les Espaces de Sophia,