On the elegance of P/P+

From: Patrick Stickler <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 16:01:42 +0200
To: RDF Core <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>

Although it is agreed that support for the P+ idiom is beyond
the scope of our charter (presumably ;-) I have found the
elegance of the combination of P and P+ to be difficult to
dismiss, and wonder if we might not consider bending the charter
regarding the single point of P+ support.

As the attached diagrams show, P and P+ are maximally compatible
with one another, and the inference of implicit knowledge
declared with P results in no change to the graph representation
of P+ apart from the addition of an arc from the literal node.
I.e., the literal node is not displaced by an anonymous node,
as is the case with the D idiom.

It also should be noted that the P/P+ combination of idioms is
identitical to the same graph representations for URIref labeled
resources -- a point which I feel should not be undervalued.

The P/P+ combination is nicely symmetrical and just "feels right"
(at least to me ;-)

(image/png attachment: Slide3.png)

(image/png attachment: Slide2.png)

(image/png attachment: Slide1.png)