Re: possible way out of maze? [was: Re: xml:lang [was Re: Outstanding Issues ]]

From: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 07:23:32 +0000
To: Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>, Frank Manola <fmanola@mitre.org>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org
At 11:22 27/02/2002 -0600, Pat Hayes wrote:

>Let me suggest a possible way out of this maze. Its the kind of thing that
>a mathematician would say, so maybe it won't be acceptable, but here goes.

What maze?  The WG decided at the f2f that literals are in fact a triple:

   <parsetype, lang-code, unicode-string>

The parseType is a single bit which indicates if the string came from a
parseType="Literal" in the xml/syntax.  The lang-code is a short string
from some iso standard that defines the language.  The string is the string.

Does this give the model theory problems Pat.

>PS. One case which this might not handle well would be where the one
>string means different things in different languages. Are there any cases
>like that?

Lots e.g. "chat"