RE: Outstanding Issues - rdfms-xmllang

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 16:22:28 -0600
To: Misha.Wolf@reuters.com
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org
As I won't be at the F2F, my 2c worth of comment on this issue:

>-  The above seems to suggest that degrees of fuzziness are required, at
>    user option, as with regular search engines.

Fuzziness of matching is not acceptable for RDF: it would break every
inference engine ever written. Language tagging is largely incidental
to proposed RDF usage in any case, as RDF is not intended to be read
by human beings. Also bear in mind that most proposed RDF usage is
not concerned with text.

>-  All of the above is closely related to other "control" constructs
>    needed for correctly writing text in different languages, eg BiDi
>    controls for BiDirectional languages.  Though Math(s) is a language
>    in quite a different sense, the same problem arises.  Let's say the
>    title of a paper contains something that can't be expressed in plain
>    text, eg an integral from value A to value B.  How do I do this in
>    RDF

I would say that RDF deals with Unicode strings. How to encode an
integral in Unicode is someone else's problem.

>and how will others match on it?

Again, someone else's problem. Intelligent text retrieval is a large
research area, but it is also largely independent of ontology
language design. RDF does not have the resources to do both jobs. at
once.

Pat Hayes

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes