Re: around the table on datatypes [ was: Re: datatyping draft 3 (for telecon)]

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 11:20:23 -0600
To: Graham Klyne <Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org
>At 10:12 PM 2/19/02 -0600, Pat Hayes wrote:
>>I agree that we should post suitable warnings, but I don't see how
>>we can legislate a perfect world.
>
>Yes (and I agree with most of the other parts of your response).   I
>guess I'm uneasy that we should appear to explicitly promote an
>approach that is known to be dangerous, even if it's covered with
>warnings.
>
>To pick up your bench saw analogy, it's not only your own thumbs at
>risk, but the thumbs of anyone who happens to walk into your
>workshop, possibly not knowing that it contains a bench saw.  Maybe
>a better analogy would be a restaurant that doesn't practice good
>hygiene:  it's not so much the chef and staff that are in danger
>from the cooking flame, but the hungry punters, consumers of the
>product, who are not aware of the possibility of infection.

Just call me Typhoid Pat :-) Seriously, though, this all goes away if
we use triples instead of doublets, so maybe we shouldnt worry about
it too much.

Pat

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes