regrets and reification

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 09:08:11 -0500 (EST)
To: <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>

A couple of things.

I'm off sick with sore throat (and lost my voice); regrets for the call.

Reification: since I can't talk, have to say it here. Some people have
suggested that allowing multiple rdf:Statement members with same p/s/o
goes against Model and Syntax, in large part because M&S uses the word
'the' when talking about 'the' reification of some triple.

I find this objection rather easy to brush off, due (as Pat mentioned) to
M&S's general murkiness around use/mention, and around the question of
whether it is talking about the graph represented in some RDF/XML document
versus 'the one big graph' of all true triples. I don't believe this is an area
where M&S taken overall has a clear view, despite a few sentences making
seemingly crisp claims. While we have a duty not to deviate too far from
the 1999 spec, we shouldn't treat M&S as a holy text.

I would be happy seeing this escalated for W3C-directorial advice, anyhow.

Best wishes for the telecon,

Dan

--
mailto:danbri@w3.org