Re: xml:lang [was Re: Outstanding Issues ]

From: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 12:25:28 +0000
To: Patrick Stickler <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>, <fmanola@mitre.org>
Cc: ext Dave Beckett <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>, RDF Core <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
At 14:11 13/02/2002 +0200, Patrick Stickler wrote:
[...]

>It was stated that ARP does this, but if I enter
>
>   <dc:title xml:lang="en">World Wide Web Consortium</dc:title>
>
>in the W3C RDF validator, I don't see 'en' reflected in either the
>triples or the graph. Is it then optional functionality not used
>by the validator? Or is that functionality in a later version of ARP
>than what is used by the validator?
>
>(this isn't a criticism or refutation, just an honest question)

As Jeremy isn't around, I'll reply.

The W3C RDF validator consists of two components:

   o parser
   o a servlet that implements the web functionality

The parser is ARP and does support literals as pairs.

The servlet does not support language.  This is because the servlet was
originally written to work with sirpac which I believe is one of the
parsers which does treat literals as strings.