Re: Outstanding Issues

At 11:36 12/02/2002 +0000, Graham Klyne wrote:

>I think Dave proposed making rdf:Id in a property consistently identify a
>corresponding reification quad.  I support that proposal.

Actually, I think Dave went the other way; you have just outlined Jeremy's
counter.  Would you care to write it up, along with test cases?
[...]
>>rdfms-fragments: Confusing semantics of # fragments
>>
>>I propose we remain agnostic on this.  Whatever an absolute URI with a
>>fragmentid names, that is what RDF is describing.
>
>I'm not sure this helps out with the "confusing semantics", but I'm not
>sure what else we can do.  I note that a fragment id has no distinguished
>status in the model theory (unlike web-at-large), so that goes a little
>way to clear some confusions.

Graham, could I ask you to make a proposal to resolve this question.

>Assuming it doesn't mess up the model theory, I'd be inclined to not
>prohibit literals-as-subjects in the graph syntax, but otherwise apply
>what you say to RDF/XML and N-triples (for now).  This would mean that if
>a future group does define syntax to allow this, there is a semantic
>foundation ready for it.

True.  However, it also means that tools like Jena will be compelled to
support it, but won't be able to write it as n-triples or RDF/XML.  I know
that it is already the case that we can't write all graphs as RDF/XML, but
Jena will find a non standard way to fix that, and I don't want that
happening more often than it has to.

[...]

>>rdfms-identity-of-statements: Does the model allow different statements
>>with the same subject/predicate/object?
>>
>>ongoing
>
>Is it?  Doesn't the model theory answer this?

No, but this is part of the reification discussion.
[...]

>>rdfms-seq-representation: The ordinal property representation of
>>containers does not support recursive processing of containers in
>>languages such as Prolog.
>>
>>Hmmm.  Anyone got a proposal for fixing this?
>
>I don't think the ordinal property representation is a problem per se, but
>the lack of a maximum member indicator might be.

True.  Hmmm, model theory question.  If we define a property of containers,
say rdfs:size which is the number of members, does:

      _:a <rdfs:size> "10" .
      _:a <rdf:_11>   <foo> .

cause any theoretical problems?  Or is just an inconsistent model with no
interpretation.
[...]

>>rdfms-assertion: RDF is not just a data model; an RDF statement is an
>>assertion.
>>
>>The director has an architectural requirement that we say something about
>>this.  We need someone to draft some appropriate words.  Any volunteers?
>
>I think the statement should be kept simple.  I offered some words a while
>back:
>
>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2001Nov/0560.html
>
>[[[
>RDF is intended to convey assertions that are meaningful to the extent that
>they may, in appropriate contexts, be used to express the terms of binding
>agreements.
>]]]

That sounds like a volunteer.  Thanks Graham.  Could you identify the best
place to put this text, and bring a proposal to the WG to resolve the issue
please?