Re: type/dtype/subclassing and range/subproperties

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 10:13:50 -0600
To: "Jos De_Roo" <jos.deroo.jd@belgium.agfa.com>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org
>[...]
>
>>  We may in fact need something like rdfs:drange ("deranged"? ;-)
>>  if rdfs:range only implies rdf:type and not rdf:dtype,
>
>we have that per
>{ ?d a rdf:DataType . ?p rdfs:range ?d . ?s ?p ?o } log:implies { ?o
>rdf:dType ?d } .

Right, but that is a dtype in the conclusion, right? the rdf:type
follows by normal rdfs inference, but the range-datatyping is
something else that requires an extra semantic constraint. I don't
think we need deranged unless we want to allow some ranges to 'do'
datatyping and others not. And that can be handled, if someone wants
to do it, by defining a coextensive class with the datatype and
making that be the range. Then you get rdf:type inheritance (with one
extra inference step) but the datatyping is blocked, so no rdf:dtype.

Pat

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes