Re: A basis for convergence and closure?

From: Patrick Stickler <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 17:37:21 +0200
To: Patrick Stickler <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>, Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, RDF Core <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
On 2002-02-05 17:20, "ext Patrick Stickler" <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>
wrote:

> My comments below.
>
>> 5:    Do we allow S-A idiom?
>
> No ;-)

In all fairness, I think I should explain my 'no' vote.

From the users perspective, both knowledge creators
and implementors, the pair of symmetrical local/global
idioms based on rdf:value and rdf:dtype are very
manageable and intuitive, and adding yet another
idiom that does the same thing as the local idiom
(per se) would make the datatyping solution more
difficult to apply.

From the ontology maintenance perspective, I don't
think that the problem of multiple vocabularies goes
away with the combination of the proposed pair
of bNode idioms and the S-A idiom, so all my earlier
expressed concerns apply as well.

Hopefully that is clearer than just 'no' ;-)

Cheers,

Patrick