Re: Reject change to rdf:value

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 18:50:53 -0600
To: Dave Beckett <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org
>  >>>Graham Klyne said:
>>  I think Aaron said it better.  I don't think this is an issue that should
>>  be postponed.
>
>The issue http://www.w3.org/2000/03/rdf-tracking/#rdfms-replace-value
>is recorded as:
>   Suggestion that the rdf:value property be replaced by rdf:toString.
>
>So I propose that:
>   We reject this suggestion as an unnecessary change
>   ACTION the model theory editor (Pat) to explain what rdf:value means

Well, I would if I knew.  This is central to the datatyping
discussion as well. If literals always denote strings, then rdf:type
(actually rdfd:type in my proposal) is a kind of generic inverse to
the datatype lexical-to-value mapping. If literal nodes (not bnodes
somewhere nearby , but the actual literals) are interpreted relative
to datatype information, then rdfd:type is essentially just equality.

Pat

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes