Re: why S doesn't require double properties [was: Datatyping Summary V4]

On 2002-02-05 0:06, "ext Graham Klyne" <Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com> wrote:

> Patrick,
>
> I understood the question OK.  I just don't agree that this:
> [[[
>> One should be able to merge graphs where folks have employed the same
>> vocabulary, regardless of idiom used, without concern for conflict.
> ]]]
> Has to be an overriding concern.

It becomes a major concern in a context where one wishes
to syndicate knowledge from a very broad range of sources
and one's application semantics is based on a commonly used
ontology and one does not wish to be burdened with which
idioms various sources are using, only that they are using
a common vocabulary.

If we have two vocabularies then we also have to have two
schemas (or more) to relate pairs of vocabularies (e.g.
MARC and DC) thus we have alot more overhead to using
RDF than before, when we only had to worry about one
vocabulary.

If we have a single vocabulary but have to scan and
convert all graphs being syndicated, then we have both
more work to do for the implementation and greater risk
of processing error.

Again, I'm not saying it won't work, I'm saying it is
cumbersome, and unless it is the only choice, we should
try to avoid cumbersome solutions.

In order to achieve critical mass of knowledge being
interchanged between semantic web agents, we need
to make RDF as lean and mean as we can while still
getting the job done.

Right?

> The rest, I agree with.

Cool ;-)