Re: why not take just the 2 ???

On 2002-02-04 10:43, "ext jos.deroo.jd@belgium.agfa.com"
<jos.deroo.jd@belgium.agfa.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
>>> if you (in TDL-global) only have the fact :Jenny :age "30"
>>> and *no* range information for :age then you have *no*
>>> interpretation for "30"
>>
>> Correct, insofar as the RDF expressed knowledge is
>> concerned. But how does that change the validity or
>> applicability of a TDL interpretation?
>>
>> The literal is either a typed data literal or not.
>>
>> If it is, then the literal is a lexical form for some
>> unknown datatype.
>>
>> Perhaps in the next second, an RDF schema with the
>> needed datatyping information will be loaded -- or
>> perhaps the absence of any determinable type will
>> lead the application to go looking for a schema that
>> provides it.
>>
>> It's not a shortcoming of TDL that the type is not
>> known. How is the situation any different for S?
>
> is S "30" is *always* interpreted as XL("30")="30"

I think this is something of a red herring.

In TDL (the model, not necessarily the MT, in which
case you may consider the following as just so much
hand waving and babeling ;-) the literal "30" is
just the literal "30". Whether that literal constitutes
a lexical form of some datatype and thus denotes
some value is a matter of context and interpretation.
The idioms provide the datatype context and the MT
provides the interpretation, based on the defined
properties of lexical datatypes and the fact that
the TDL pairing unambiguously identifies a single
value.

In S "30" is not interpreted as "30" insofar as the
final goal of datatyping is concerned -- it must somehow be
interpreted as a lexical form of some datatype; otherwise,
S isn't really providing a solution for datatyping,
is it?